I am grateful for public investment at the federal, state, and local levels for small businesses like mine.
Mollard Consulting has benefited from public support and those investments are critical milestones in the company’s history.
In 2014, Columbus was one of only eight communities in the country to receive a U.S. Small Business Administration grant to offer ScaleUp America for growth-oriented entrepreneurs. I was a member of that cohort and it was exactly the knowledge and support I needed — at no cost to me as the federal grant covered all expenses.
When it was time to find an office to support my company’s growth, the City of New Albany was there with below market-rate rent at Innovate New Albany and with an incentive when we secured larger, market-rate space in the center of town.
Last year, during the acute fear and anxiety that gripped the country in March, the federal government acted with tremendous speed to roll out the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). It was not without problems, for sure, but from our perspective it was a stabilizing investment during a time of great uncertainty.
More public investments were made through the CARES Act and other rounds of stimulus, and the conversation continues today as to how much more the government needs to do to further support the economy as the pandemic continues to take lives and impact our livelihoods.
While politicians will debate the stimulus, my reflection is that of gratitude.
- Thank you to the elected officials and public administrators who have supported small businesses through these trying times.
- Thank you to the economists and policy makers who analyze the data to inform investments.
- Thank you to financial institutions like our credit union who dedicate tremendous resources to small business support.
- Thank you to organizations like NAWBO Columbus and the Women’s Small Business Accelerator whose advocacy makes a difference.
- And, thank you to our clients whose missions inspire the heart and hard work that we do every day.
Our business is, once again, poised for growth because of your support.
Article by: Kerri Laubenthal Mollard, Founder & CEO